• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

I am done with Disney pins !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am done with Disney pins !!!

pinbum

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do think so many pin people are moving away from this great hobby?:confused:

The hobby is becoming way to expensive for most people. When I first got into pin trading, there were a handful of pins that were 75+ but now its the norm for LE pins to be in the hundreds of dollars. You can get lucky and get some of the less popular LE pins for between 20-50 but most of the newer pins are out of reach for many people. Some of the open edition pins Disney has been releasing have been very nice but overall, they tend not to be anything to write home about. Scalpers and scrappers are also becoming more of a problem in the community. Honestly, the hobby isn't worth the headache half the time.

I'm not giving it up, been in it for too long. But the fake pin situation has given me great pause. There are some pins I've just had to give up on, because my strategy has always been to watch and wait for prices to ebb and flow, and then when people are looking somewhere else snatch things up at a bargain relative to their normal values. But with the fakes its too hard to tell what is an overlooked auction and what is a fake pin. And as the previous poster pointed out, a lot more pins are too expensive to take a gamble on their authenticity. I've also pretty much stopped trading, but because the offers I get are for pins that I know have been sold on Ebay by the worst of the bad sellers. Sometimes for expensive pins, sometimes for things like mystery donuts. I don't want to enter a trade, having to be accusatory, nor do I want to risk having to sort out undoing a trade if I were to receive a bad one. So to carve out some piece of enjoyment, I'm left going back to my roots and going after more pins from the 80s and 90s before all the nonsense started.

Another thing that has been frustrating, is that with the move to other social media platforms, it seems like pins have become more of a business transaction than they ever were. Regardless of prices, just this is what I have, this is what I want, otherwise leave me alone.

Another thing that has been frustrating, is that with the move to other social media platforms, it seems like pins have become more of a business transaction than they ever were. Regardless of prices, just this is what I have, this is what I want, otherwise leave me alone.

so sad.. Makes you think a little.

I'm with hope-

i miss how it used to be trading, I miss being able to trade via online without having to worry of the authenticity of the pin, getting screwed out of the deal, or having the 'values' be analyzed to the penny, I miss trading pins at the parks with cast and not have it be a one in a million chance of getting an authentic pin.. I miss when you could trade a new le from wdw for an equal value dlr new le now it's always mine are worth more..

Now most seem to trade via sales I'll sell my wdw le to buy your dlr le.. Which in some cases backfires as you get people like me and hope that have been around forever so waiting a year or so for price to drop isn't uncommon...

I agree with everyone, it's getting to be crazy trying to trade with anyone. There are still allot of people who are trustworthy and are fair traders but there are some people out there that are not also.
I sent out a trade request through pinpics a couple of days ago asking for a 2014 Mickeys not so scary Halloween pin. On one of the replies that I got back it had 5 of my pins listed for the not so scary pin. The person wanted to know if I was offering all 5 of my pins for his one pin. I told him no but since his was a non LE event pin that I would give him any two of my pins for his pin, he declined the offer. I just couldn't believe that he wanted all five of my pins for his one pin.

I totally agree with you guys it's so hard to trade now, so tired of been confronting to people who said "your pin isn't worth mine" all the time and blah blah blah...
or " what's the VALUE of your pin? " i think i can't hear that question without going crazy lol
pin trading is all about money now and i hate that :(

The same thing re: Scalpers and Fakes is also a huge problem among Funko collectors, and the high prices on vaulted figures, etc, is causing some of those collectors to quit as well. I think it's normal for any collectibles to go this way once they become popular, and it's just something I've come to expect (though obviously we can take steps to make it better on ourselves!). As a college student who doesn't have much money, I'm gonna say the same thing for Disney Pins as I did for Funko: I'm a casual collector who will only get those I really, really want, if I have the means. It makes it less stressful that way. I do feel bad when I see new pins I like that I can't have due to LE, not being able to go to Disney, etc, but I just focus on the ones I can get in my position.

It's also worth noting , there's always some people who decide to change their collecting habits in a new year . Personally I've decided to focus more on mystery sets and open edition pins . I'll still pick up the occasional LE at as close to cost as I can but I'm going to try and stop buying pins for more than $40 , I've got to start saving for my next Disney holiday , and there are plenty of good looking OE pins I'm interested in .
As for trading , postage costs are starting to make even a domestic trade impractical but I'm going to continue to try , I've had far too many good experiences to stop now :)

I agree with Hope. It used to be that scrappers and counterfeits took a while to hit the market. Now, they are there within weeks of the release (either before or after the release) and you have to be scared of what you trade for (or buy) if you don't get it directly from the source.

Plus there is at least one counterfeit seller in CA that goes to DSF/DSSH for many releases as well, so even pins coming out of Southern CA may not be "trustworthy."

As far as my personal decision to get rid of some pins, primarily its to reduce my collection. I collect too many themes. I started out with Belle and Mulan, branched out into Mickey/Minnie doing couple-y things, then Star Wars, Little Green Men, (five main collections) with quite a few side collections (Frozen, Brave, Rapunzel, Wreck-it Ralph, Marvel, etc.) I want to get back down to my main collections, but even then I may reduce to just Belle, Mulan, and Little Green Men. I'm looking at my Star Wars pins and wondering whether I should keep them or not. I know I'm definitely getting rid of Frozen, Brave, Rapunzel and Wreck-it-Ralph but not yet sure about Marvel.

What pins our hundreds??? Are you talking resell???
Yes, I am talking resell. However, Disney has sold limited edition pin sets and jumbo pins for $100+ a pop in the past. I know the designer sets are always around $199 for example. I know for awhile, LE Tangled pins were on the secondary market for anywhere from $200-$1,000+. Haven't looked at Tangled pins in awhile so I don't know if the prices have dropped. But if you don't get a pin when its released, the resell price can get incredibly expensive.

Well, I've left pin trading and collecting several times only to return to the hobby each time. I've tried to quit it BUT it's in my blood now. Despite the scrapers and fakes, despite the ridiculous mark ups, despite not always having the money to buy when a really good release happens, I find so much joy and happiness in collecting. It truly makes me happy. As in everything, there are draw backs and frustrations in any hobby or interest. For me...... It's just things I've learned to accept as part of this amazingly fun hobby. There's nothing like rushing home from work just so I can run to the mail box and see if the yellow padded envelope is in there. I'm now 49 yrs old and this makes feel like a kid. Who doesn't like that. Lol.

With that said, each of y'all concerns are my own. I've learned more recently that if there is a pin or a theme you really like, be patient and it will come down in price eventually. Of course, it will never be face value but I'm fine with paying extra for those who put forth effort to go stand in line and get them. But not 500% markup ! Lol.

I've chosen to make my main collection one that is more affordable even for LE 100. You know what? I get that same feeling when I find a pin that's harder to get for my collection as I would if it were a LE Ariel pin. So, I'm just changing things up for my collections so I don't stress out as before. And..... I'm having a ball. My pins are gorgeous and I love stopping and looking at them each day. I hope folks finds the enjoyment and fun in pin collecting and trading as they once did. Just my thoughts. Good luck everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, there is an invasion of the called "FANTASY" pins that make you think if they will overtake the real Disney pins in the near future.

I’ve been collecting pins since the 70s. They had little countertop rounders back then with maybe 8 pins total-some princesses and Winnie the Pooh. Sometimes you’d have to wait 2 years for a new pin to show up. They were TINY compared to today’s pins. But they were cheaper than t-shirts and the plush things back then, so I made them what I collected. I only could afford one at a time. I was in high school at the time.
I still remember the extreme excitement I felt in 2000 when I rounded a corner and saw dozens and dozens and dozens of pins on a wall. The original bump up in pins was a millennium promotion. I don’t even think Disney expected it to last this long. I didn’t even dare to think it would last past 2000, but here we are 16 years later.
I panic sometimes when it seems that Disney is losing their interest in it—the new website stinks compared to the old one. We lost the archives of the official site, and recently the listing of all the OE pins. There were a few low years there, but I think the variety and quality of pins has actually improved lately. I’m also upset about the fakes and especially the hard-core business attitude so many “traders” have now. It was not like that at all back in 2000 and the early years.
But I agree with pin2pin1 and speedwaystar1 that I still enjoy it—the collecting and the owning of Disney pins has, and I hope will continue to give me great joy into the future. I’m not ready to give up!!!

I’ve been collecting pins since the 70s. They had little countertop rounders back then with maybe 8 pins total-some princesses and Winnie the Pooh. Sometimes you’d have to wait 2 years for a new pin to show up. They were TINY compared to today’s pins. But they were cheaper than t-shirts and the plush things back then, so I made them what I collected. I only could afford one at a time. I was in high school at the time.
I still remember the extreme excitement I felt in 2000 when I rounded a corner and saw dozens and dozens and dozens of pins on a wall. The original bump up in pins was a millennium promotion. I don’t even think Disney expected it to last this long. I didn’t even dare to think it would last past 2000, but here we are 16 years later.
I panic sometimes when it seems that Disney is losing their interest in it—the new website stinks compared to the old one. We lost the archives of the official site, and recently the listing of all the OE pins. There were a few low years there, but I think the variety and quality of pins has actually improved lately. I’m also upset about the fakes and especially the hard-core business attitude so many “traders” have now. It was not like that at all back in 2000 and the early years.
But I agree with pin2pin1 and speedwaystar1 that I still enjoy it—the collecting and the owning of Disney pins has, and I hope will continue to give me great joy into the future. I’m not ready to give up!!!

I couldn't agree more and feel the same way! I really like what you wrote!I do get a little upset sometimes with certain things, but I try not to let all this nonsense affect the happiness and the butterflies I feel in my stomach when a new pin comes in the mail! I just really started pin trading last year and have been buying pins since 2013. Not for trade, just for me. I had no idea that a wonderful world of pin trading was out there, just waiting for me. Wasn't until last October, when my husband and I were taking the Monorail, that things really did get serious. I was wearing my lanyard with my favorite Tinker pins (you probably know the scene... all those pins, all shapes and sizes, pinching your neck, making all types of noises, not counting that feels like 150 degrees outside ... but you just don't care! Nothing like showing off you favorite pins and hearing people saying: "nice pins!). Well, but back to the story.... This really nice gentleman and his wife complemented my pins and we started talking about it. I pullout my 2nd lanyard, from this tiny Disney shopping bag, just to show a few LE. Oohhh boy, immediately I could tell I did something wrong! I will never forget the look on his face! That day I learned a lot about pin trading, about PinPics and definitely how to keep my pins properly (and not in a shopping bag!). I got my first pin book that day, from the Pin Trading Store in MK. As soon as I got home I checked out PinPics, added my pins, and here I am... a 34 year old that smiles like a 5 year old every time a Tinker Bell pin arrives in the mail!!!
I wish I could find that couple again and say thank you to that friendly pin collector! (at the same time I want to shake him and ask why you did this to me!! Lol). I love pin trading and will never let this go!
PS* Sorry for the long txt and also my grammar. I am originally from Brazil :)
Take care!

With that said, each of y'all concerns are my own. I've learned more recently that if there is a pin or a theme you really like, be patient and it will come down in price eventually.

I've chosen to make my main collection one that is more affordable even for LE 100. You know what? I get that same feeling when I find a pin that's harder to get for my collection as I would if it were a LE Ariel pin. So, I'm just changing things up for my collections so I don't stress out as before. And..... I'm having a ball. My pins are gorgeous and I love stopping and looking at them each day. I hope folks finds the enjoyment and fun in pin collecting and trading as they once did. Just my thoughts. Good luck everyone. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with pin1pin2 and all the others who still love Pin Collecting despite the fakes and the "Value" traders. I have always only traded in person or through the mail with someone I knew but, I have had a few trades arranged here and they have been wonderful experiences!! I also concentrate on just my 2 "Loves", Tigger & Cinderella, and keep the costs to a reasonable level - it IS a hobby, after all. If pins are too costly, you CAN live without them. I gave up trying to have a "complete" collection a loooooong time ago. :roll: Just ENJOY the Hobby, the Pins and the PEOPLE (who are the REAL treasure)!!!
:tigger: Sue

My husband and I started collecting recently (2014), we went to the pin event in 2015. I think it was soon after the pin event that we decided to stop collecting/trading pins for the following reasons:

1. It seems that pin "trading" is pin "selling." And is geared towards those that live near the parks. We live in Michigan. I wanted to collect the Pixar Celebration pins for my son (since it's a nice "boy" collection). We received the first Pixar pin at the event. The second pixar pin I couldn't find for less than 50 dollars - that's a huge mark up.

2. Fakes in the parks. We loved trading with cast members, but when we looked at your "traded" collection and realized about 75% of them were fake...it seems financially irresponsible to continue trading in this manner.

My husband and I started collecting recently (2014), we went to the pin event in 2015. I think it was soon after the pin event that we decided to stop collecting/trading pins for the following reasons:

1. It seems that pin "trading" is pin "selling." And is geared towards those that live near the parks. We live in Michigan. I wanted to collect the Pixar Celebration pins for my son (since it's a nice "boy" collection). We received the first Pixar pin at the event. The second pixar pin I couldn't find for less than 50 dollars - that's a huge mark up.

2. Fakes in the parks. We loved trading with cast members, but when we looked at your "traded" collection and realized about 75% of them were fake...it seems financially irresponsible to continue trading in this manner.

#1. If you wait a few weeks or even a few months after the pins are released (for the Pixar ones), you should be able to find them at a reasonable price.

#2. YUP! So many fakes and scrappers in the parks! :p

#2. YUP! So many fakes and scrappers in the parks! :p

^^^ This x1,000 for me.

Like a few here, I have been in it since it began. There have been ups and downs in the hobby, but pins are still here. I am happy about that, as pin trading is a great interactive hobby.

The only dark side for me are the people who continually bring fakes/scrappers to dump at the parks for every real pin they can get their hands on. I'm mainly talking about the regulars (weather local or not), who know exactly what they are doing. I see them all the time running, sometimes with a partner who runs in another direction, to get every real pin they can trade for. They have huge, not the sandwich size, ziplock bags FULL of fakes, hidden in a bag or softside cooler lunch bag. This is a business for them. They strip the CMs in one park and head to another that day. Sickening!!

Then, same said scrapper dumpers, sell real pins 'cheap' here, ebay, FB, what have you. I see these people, I know their faces at trade events, in the parks, and on line.

I try to not let it ruin my fun at the parks, but when there are multiples of these people every time I go, it's beyond disheartening. They are cheating Disney, and other pin collectors. They are knowingly committing fraud!!

^ It's not just the knowledgeable people. It's the uneducated as well.

I read this yesterday and wanted to smack my head when I saw the #5 recommendation by this "professional" travel writer was to buy cheap pin lots on ebay to take to the park! :(

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/disney-vacation

"It's hard not to participate in the phenomenon of Pin Trading once you see the lanyards around cast members' necks, but starter pins on-site can be costly, and selecting them can eat into your ride time. Instead, surprise your family or plan ahead for yourself by ordering bulk packages of Disney pins on eBay."

ARGH!!! Yes, why not encourage people to buy cheap fakes on ebay so your kids can have fun at the parks with them. Brilliant. *rolleyes*

Last edited:
The only dark side for me are the people who continually bring fakes/scrappers to dump at the parks for every real pin they can get their hands on. I'm mainly talking about the regulars (weather local or not), who know exactly what they are doing. I see them all the time running, sometimes with a partner who runs in another direction, to get every real pin they can trade for. They have huge, not the sandwich size, ziplock bags FULL of fakes, hidden in a bag or softside cooler lunch bag. This is a business for them. They strip the CMs in one park and head to another that day. Sickening!!

It's not just at the parks. On my last day at WDW last week, we visited the MK resorts and one of the shops in the Grand Floridian has a "pin hat" covered with trading pins. After looking and finding mostly scrap, the cashier there told me that there are usually people lined up outside the shop to trade for pins before the store opens in the morning. :rolleyes:

At this point you need to be in the parks at rope-drop or get lucky finding a CM who's just come on shift with a new lanyard. Otherwise everything new and authentic has been scoured away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back