• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

I am done with Disney pins !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am done with Disney pins !!!
I can only speak for the 'new' PinPics site and my experience but there is no fee or subscription for using PinPics :) and it is still entirely a user-generated site, it would not survive without the many users who regularly submit new pins, update images, comments, etc! PinPics has always been reliant on the pin community and built on its generosity.

The only revenue that PinPics earns is made from selling an assortment of LE Pins available exclusively through http://shop.pinpics.com/, PPGS (PinPics Grading Service), as well as your typical banner-ads that appear on the side of the site.

thanks for the replay. Sorry I could not give every point of intrested in less than a 10 page write up.

If you were not here before Figgy sold the site, there is maybe many things you don't know or were not told. We also had another ambassador before you and it was a big joke. Everything we all asked was not answered or was told a story we all know is not true. I don't care about the past or all that bs.

I just asked, why we don't have links back? If everything is cool between the two sites. Let us have our link back. We all really liked pin pics at one time and some still kind of do. But it is up to the company to show us that they are stand up guys and here to be a part of us and not just to make money.

another question? If the site is made by us. Why can't we share the pics and info we all gave to pin pics in the first place. No need to ban any of us or to tell us that we can use pictures of pins that were given to pin pics.

Thanks for the info, if you are able to anwser any of these questions.

WWWDD

Last edited:
I just asked, why we don't have links back? If everything is cool between the two sites. Let us have our link back. We all really liked pin pics at one time and some still kind of do. But it is up to the company to show us that they are stand up guys and here to be a part of us and not just to make money.

I'm only looking at this from a web developer standpoint, I don't know about the politics...

But the big issue with putting the links back right now is that even if you click "Remember Me", PinPics now automatically logs you out every 3 or 4 hours (maybe even less!) AND you need to be logged in to look at any specific member's pins. This means that more than half the times you click any link from here to a member's Owns/Trades/Wants on PinPics, you're going to get the "Sorry, you are not logged in" message and get booted to the homepage.

Which makes restoring the links as they were a couple years ago pretty much useless, and very much annoying.

thanks for the replay. Sorry I could not give every point of intrested in less than a 10 page write up.

If you were not here before Figgy sold the site, there is maybe many things you don't know or were not told. We also had another ambassador before you and it was a big joke. Everything we all asked was not answered or was told a story we all know is not true. I don't care about the past or all that bs.

another question? If the site is made by us. Why can't we share the pics and info we all gave to pin pics in the first place. No need to ban any of us or to tell us that we can use pictures of pins that were given to pin pics.

Thanks for the info, if you are able to anwser any of these questions.

WWWDD

In regards to links, I don't know the whole backstory (was just filled in a bit). PinPics is open to restoring them however we need to be put in contact with the owner/programmer of DPF for approval and assistance.

I tried messaging Bill for this info but his inbox is full :(

Are you able to send me a PM and assist? This is tentative, but as long as it can be done securely between the two sites it should be possible to have them restored :)

I don't know Bill. I will ask Li who is the go to person around here. Maybe it has changed. Thank you for that info.

i do not see anything about why we can not use or share the pics and info we gave pin pics. If it's a all free site that is all user made. Why would pin pics try to bully people that want to track there pins on other sites also.

also no info as to why members got banned just for talking about things. We learn from talking and often people begin to think things are not on the up and up when people can't talk without fear of reprisal.

WWWDD

Is partially embracing the fake pins a solution, I wonder?

With the exception of really ugly-looking scrappers, the main problem with the fake pins is people trying to scam you out of a valuable pin for something which they paid nothing for, and is worthless, yes? And the horrible feeling of that.

I was reading on another thread about fantasy pins, and how some people collect them and trade them for other fantasy pins. Would it be possible to have a collection of nice-looking fake-pins which you swap for other fake-pins, where both parties are 100% upfront about trading "fakes"? You can still trade valuable pins, with other people with a real collection, keeping the two sets separate.

It'd be a way to take the money out, at least. You still get the pursuit; the pleasure of finding one; and the fun of trading and meeting people, and having something to represent a good time or memory. You wouldn't have that same worry and alertness in case you get scammed.

(new member so don't bite for being a devil's advocate ^_^ I just...am trying to research the hobby as much as I can before I jump in, and already feel heavy/demoralised/like I'm constantly going to be worrying about money and being scammed, instead of the thrill of the chase. I think I'd be much happier trading worthless pins for other worthless pins, than worrying about sharks and scrappers all the time.)

(new member so don't bite for being a devil's advocate ^_^ I just...am trying to research the hobby as much as I can before I jump in, and already feel heavy/demoralised/like I'm constantly going to be worrying about money and being scammed, instead of the thrill of the chase. I think I'd be much happier trading worthless pins for other worthless pins, than worrying about sharks and scrappers all the time.)

Good thoughts all around! As for this quoted bit I just wanted to respond that in my experience with collector's items, it's always hard work and potentially stressful of you're a serious collector. For instance, Amiibo collectors get headaches trying to keep up with releases due to limited distribution (out of Japan if I'm not mistaken), Funko! POP collectors become demoralized by fakes, scalpers, and low quality control. Etc, etc. Disney pins do have their own difficulties, since the limited releases seem to be a hassle to get to and they're aimed at people living near the parks, but even though they have some pricey pins, most are a reasonable price when they're initially released. There are much more stressful and expensive things to seriously collect I think. But for me, the whole idea is to have fun with it and not spend too much money. Just do your research on the pins you're looking to buy and you'll be fine.

Also, I heard there are some collectors who outright don't care if their pins are fake as long as they look nice. For me, I would prefer originals, but if it looks nice and is a good price, it doesn't really matter since it's just for personal enjoyment and home decoration in my case. I only get pins I want to keep so I have nothing to trade anyway.

I don't know Bill. I will ask Li who is the go to person around here. Maybe it has changed. Thank you for that info.

i do not see anything about why we can not use or share the pics and info we gave pin pics. If it's a all free site that is all user made. Why would pin pics try to bully people that want to track there pins on other sites also.

also no info as to why members got banned just for talking about things. We learn from talking and often people begin to think things are not on the up and up when people can't talk without fear of reprisal.

WWWDD

As a long time trader and collector as well as a volunteer for pinpics, perhaps I am the one who should be in this conversation. I was here when everything blew up and as I have learned from many years on this planet, there are two sides to every story. Some people on here chose to let people believe things that were not true. There was a lot of very negative and ugly stuff said here at DPF about the people and owners of pinpics. As I have gotten to know these people I have learned that as you might imagine when they were being attacked they became withdrawn. People at that time were not about to listen because they knew that so and so was banned for something and somebody else was banned for looking here.

So here are some facts, were people blocked from their accounts? Yes for a period of time. I am told it was a glitch and that happened when you were logged into both sites at the same time. Yes it took a while to get it straightened out. Everybody who was blocked has been put back and even Judy (tiggermickey) has her account reopened.

Were there some people who were banned, yes. Those who repeatedly were bashing pinpics did have their accounts banned. (full disclosure here, I was one of those people who said some negative things about pinpics based on the stories I had been hearing). The other way people got banned was for attacking the mods at the time. As I have learned that is not acceptable under any circumstances. If you do not show respect, you will not receive respect.

Was there mistakes made by the owners? In my personal opinion yes there were. But remember there was a lot of venom going on at the time. In an earlier post you mentioned a previous person who was working as a pinpics ambassador. I remember him also as he was a member here in great standing. He jumped in at a very poor time and was eaten alive. He did try to give us answers but was shouted down repeatedly. It was a reason I was wary about telling people I had decided to become a mod at pinpics. I did not want that kind of backlash against me. Why did I decide to help at pinpics? The admin reached out to me and called me to talk about things. I was shocked that she would take the time and just want to talk. We originally talked for an hour or two the first phone call and we have been talking for hours ever since. I decided that pinpics has brought a bunch of great people into our lives and it was time to give back to the community that has given us so much. I can honestly say that I am proud to be part of a great group of people who want to help out our community. Did it start smoothly, nope, no way, uh uh. Has there been changes to make the site better? Heck yes there has. We have an amazing programmer now that knows her stuff. Is everything perfect? Not yet, but we are working on it. Are there great things coming up in the future? Absolutely!!!!!!

Is the owners of pinpics making money off of the stuff we have contributed to? No! The database is now, has been and always will be free. Yes they were trying to make money off of some added bonus things that were not part of the original site, and when the public didn't want them, those things went away.

As for the links we used to have, it is a two way street. If people want them back and the people who run DPF want to work something out I am happy to see if I can help get them back. It is one of the reasons I decided to be a mod. I figured what better way to effect change then from the inside. GreyWyvern is correct about the limited amount of time to be logged in. I believe it is set at 4 hours and then you have to re log in. Even the mods and programmer have to do this.

This a great community that we are very happy we became part of!!! The past is in the past and now we have to decide if we want to be part of the solution or part of continuing to be a problem. Do we think everybody will want to be part of it again? Nope, but if we work to make things better then we can improve the future of this hobby.

Wow. Supper cool that you are helping. You are one of the most popular members around here. I like your write up and has some good points. When I said I couldn't write everything in less than 10 pages, that was kind of my way of also saying we can talk about everything in the past.

i was just looking for info on the now. 2 way street sounds good. Is that tring to say that pin pics did not make the links be taken down??? Why should DPF now have to beg for them back? If PinPics is good guys. Just put things back to how Figgy always wanted it to be. It was always suposed to supplement the other pin sites. Remember the water marks and use of pic was never a thing before.

No replay to the question about way we pin pics will not share with other sites. You know that we all gave the pics of pins and when we tried to share with another site to also track pins...... Well. We all know what happened. That very nice site that most DPF liked was ran out of biz. Or kind of. It was not a biz. It was another free for us all site.

thank you agian for the info. I'm not bashing anyone. Im just asking for help to understand.

ps. That other ambassador was the first guy I ever traded with. He was well trusted here. But we all knew he was just picked to try and make peace by saying what pin pics wanted to tell us.

WWWDD

Wow. Supper cool that you are helping. You are one of the most popular members around here. I like your write up and has some good points. When I said I couldn't write everything in less than 10 pages, that was kind of my way of also saying we can talk about everything in the past.

i was just looking for info on the now. 2 way street sounds good. Is that tring to say that pin pics did not make the links be taken down??? Why should DPF now have to beg for them back? If PinPics is good guys. Just put things back to how Figgy always wanted it to be. It was always suposed to supplement the other pin sites. Remember the water marks and use of pic was never a thing before.

No replay to the question about way we pin pics will not share with other sites. You know that we all gave the pics of pins and when we tried to share with another site to also track pins...... Well. We all know what happened. That very nice site that most DPF liked was ran out of biz. Or kind of. It was not a biz. It was another free for us all site.

thank you agian for the info. I'm not bashing anyone. Im just asking for help to understand.

ps. That other ambassador was the first guy I ever traded with. He was well trusted here. But we all knew he was just picked to try and make peace by saying what pin pics wanted to tell us.

WWWDD

No DPF does not have to beg for anything. Their admin simply needs to be available to talk to the pinpics people. Most of the original Admins and owners are very rarely if ever seen around here any more. Please do not take that as I am complaining about it. I love this site and don't care who is or isn't around, but there are technical things that need to be fixed so that it can be done.

As for the site we all know is no longer around. (Please give me some latitude here I am not a techie) That person used a web crawler to go in and directly take the listings from pinpics. Imagine if you will you buy a website and spend thousands of dollars every month keeping it up and running (yes it is really that expensive with a site this size) and somebody goes and takes your property. I imagine you would be upset about it also. So to avoid this from happening again they changed the way pictures are kept on the site. Making it harder to cut and past links and pictures. There is however ways to make copies of your wants and print them out so you can take them with you if you go to a trading event or the part and want to have pictures of the pins you are looking for.

Now being a mod, I have access to look up how many pictures and listings etc people have added from the time they joined to currently. Yes there are some amazing people who contributed! But the fact is that most of us only contributed a dozen or so listings. Most of the listings were added by mods and admins at pinpics. Please do not take that comment as a slam, every listing that is posted by anybody is another listing for the site and makes it better. We are very thankful to anybody who has taken time to help keep the site up to date and accurate.

Please remember that Pinpics is still the largest database in the world of Disney pins. If you are unhappy with the people or the site then don't use it. I know Ryan here has a database also. There are really great people who contribute to it also. Competition is always a good thing.

Let me again admit mistakes were made and we have been and are working to fix them. People were upset on both sides and stories were told that were not whole truths. At the time mob mentality was in full effect and people didn't want to hear anything. Tempers were raised on both sides and some not so nice things were said. I know myself I was pissed at pinpics and didn't stop and think that there are actual people working there and they have feelings also. So when they were being shouted at and called all kinds of nasty things they gave some of that negativity back.

One thing I would like to remind people about this and life in general, we live in a digital age. If you put something out there on the web it is around forever.

Thank you agian. I like you so much and wish I was able to get this info before having to get it from you. I think you have done your best as the past member here did.

I am not part of any mob and let it be known that I have not gave pin info to the site. All so let me say that if I did not like pin pics, I would not ask for links or other things with site.

i very much understand the price to run a biz. The hard part is that a little air is taken out of your statement if only due to the fact that the site was fine before and still had bills and still was free for us all with none of the new rules.

The other site we talked about was only made to be free and help us. Only because pin pics was tring to set up a pay to use site. Not to replace but to go with other pin sites. That is how pin pics also started. Remeber a member and her hubby made the site for us all. No rules about sharing pics that members gave in the first place.

2nd part to that if I bought something and people wanted to use it. let's be real. I would love to buy a company that has a built in fan base and than I start to sell them stuff or try to make money in other ways.( maybe that vip fee didn't work, but was tried ). there is no part of that biz deal were it sounds cool to try and control the "free info". Sharing stuff you get for free with the people that gave it to you or are part of the said community should not scare pin pics. If all us disney fans are family, and sites are free, wouldn't it make since to be able to share free info around the community.

Not comatotion. We are or most were at one time a Family.

in the end, it will never be the same. But it is silly to say things can't be done and give a reason that's not 100% right. I will just let this go. Im sorry for all the past things. I hope you are still my pin friend. I have the buttons you made me still and your a good guy. Don't want this to make you think bad of me. I have learned a lot on this post and others. Thank you for your help.

WWWDD

Ps. I just brought home the new baby trader. She was born on Friday. We can't wait to bring her to DLR to meet all of the great members we know and any new ones we have not meet.

this little baby girl is going to be the pin boss someday. Lol. Maybe have to get her a button some day if you still do that.
thanks agian buddy. Hope all is well with you and the family.

WWWDD

Ps. I just brought home the new baby trader. She was born on Friday. We can't wait to bring her to DLR to meet all of the great members we know and any new ones we have not meet.

this little baby girl is going to be the pin boss someday. Lol. Maybe have to get her a button some day if you still do that.

WWWDD

Congrats on the baby trader Kory! :)

And I sent a PM to Cicada through FB. He doesn't always respond to my messages, but I'll see if Stef (dancecats) has his number.

I do agree that it may not help a lot (adding the links back) when you're logged out of PinPics fairly quickly. You will have to make sure you are logged-in first, keep that window open, and then click on the link through DPF (if it gets put back) to open a new window. Even then, there's no guarantee that the new window will have you logged in.

Thank you everyone. Hey Li. Thanks for trying. Not sure why they wouldn't want it to work like it did befor. Together.. Not separate..

WWWDD

And I sent a PM to Cicada through FB. He doesn't always respond to my messages, but I'll see if Stef (dancecats) has his number.

I do agree that it may not help a lot (adding the links back) when you're logged out of PinPics fairly quickly. You will have to make sure you are logged-in first, keep that window open, and then click on the link through DPF (if it gets put back) to open a new window. Even then, there's no guarantee that the new window will have you logged in.

Also, you can visit PinPics from two different versions of the domain: http://www.pinpics.com/ AND http://pinpics.com/ - one with the www and one without. Your login is only valid on the version of the domain name where you clicked the login button. So if you logged in at http://pinpics.com/ and the links on DPF go to the www version of the domain, it will not recognise you as logged in either. Very confusing.

There really are a lot of little things like this that are preventing more integration and ease of use. They really should just let people see a member's pins without being logged in.

Last edited:
Why when I try to make a trade the other trader most of the time wants 2 3 4 5 of my pins for there 1 pin when 1 for 1 is fair?This happens alot at DLR.

Why when I try to make a trade the other trader most of the time wants 2 3 4 5 of my pins for there 1 pin when 1 for 1 is fair?This happens alot at DLR.
2 problems. 1) sharks = so called pin traders that take advantage of anyone they can anytime they can.

2) people all value pins differently or based on different things. The only true value is the one disney put on the pin to start with. Any and all other numbers are subject to opinions.

WWWDD

Sorry I didn't get back to these yesterday. Getting over a nasty cold right now.

I am not part of any mob and let it be known that I have not gave pin info to the site. All so let me say that if I did not like pin pics, I would not ask for links or other things with site.

There is never anything wrong with asking for things. Although a please and thank you is always recommended. The only thing I ask is that after you ask show a little patience, there is always a bunch of stuff going on at all times on the site and many things to take care of and keep up to date.

i very much understand the price to run a biz. The hard part is that a little air is taken out of your statement if only due to the fact that the site was fine before and still had bills and still was free for us all with none of the new rules.

Actually this statement is not quite correct. While you and I loved the old site there were issues they were running into issues that made coming up with a new site a necessity. Also while the old site was "free" there were pledge drives held to cover the costs of the site. You did not have to donate, but many people did. There has never been a request for money with the new site. They were offering add ons to the site for a small fee, but even those went away. You have never had to pay to use the site!

The other site we talked about was only made to be free and help us. Only because pin pics was tring to set up a pay to use site. Not to replace but to go with other pin sites. That is how pin pics also started. Remeber a member and her hubby made the site for us all. No rules about sharing pics that members gave in the first place.

2nd part to that if I bought something and people wanted to use it. let's be real. I would love to buy a company that has a built in fan base and than I start to sell them stuff or try to make money in other ways.( maybe that vip fee didn't work, but was tried ). there is no part of that biz deal were it sounds cool to try and control the "free info". Sharing stuff you get for free with the people that gave it to you or are part of the said community should not scare pin pics. If all us disney fans are family, and sites are free, wouldn't it make since to be able to share free info around the community.

Why should the new owners who bought the site not have a right to try and make some of that money back by doing things like the VIP (as you put it) add ons? Do you do anything at your job for free or do you accept a paycheck? As for the control of the information, this came about because of the way the other site you mentioned went about doing that site. Don't get me wrong, I liked that site also, but I can very easily see why that was a problem.

Not comatotion. We are or most were at one time a Family.

in the end, it will never be the same. But it is silly to say things can't be done and give a reason that's not 100% right. I will just let this go. Im sorry for all the past things. I hope you are still my pin friend. I have the buttons you made me still and your a good guy. Don't want this to make you think bad of me. I have learned a lot on this post and others. Thank you for your help.

WWWDD

I am always happy to have discussions about anything and am happy to find out answers to questions anybody has especially about the site as long as they are asked politely. The people I have the pleasure of working with are wonderful people that I enjoy helping. Just as I enjoy the people here. I will not respond kindly to anybody not being nice to people there then I would put up with people bashing others here. No Kory, this is not directed at you, just a general belief I have.

A little side note on why sometimes it might take more time, I know this to be true, they are always working on things to make the site better. I know of several up and coming additions that I can not mention right now. I just know that the programmer is always kept very busy with new stuff as well as keeping the stuff we have now up and running.

WWWDD

I do still make buttons and would be happy to make one for the new addition. Congratulations on the baby girl!!! Have raised one of those to adulthood you have your hands full for the next 40 years or so. We all know they will always be our baby girl no matter how old they are.

If you are logged in you should be able to click on the link no problem. Yes we are working on something for this.

GreyWyvern;849420 There really are a lot of little things like this that are preventing more integration and ease of use. They really should just let people see a member's pins without being logged in.[/QUOTE said:
We can't do that actually. There are members who are not trading at the moment and as such their pins will not be visible. It really is not that big of a deal to have to log in first. We became very spoiled with the simpler website.

Congratulations on the new wee one!

I've kinda' drifted from active collecting because... well... my collection is kinda' finished. There is the occasional pin that comes out fitting my Jules Verne, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea collection, and I try to get them (I need the new "Nautilus and Squid" one coming out). But otherwise, I got all the ones I want. I am looking for a specific pin of Cleo the fish, but that's about it.

I do still grab memento pins and wear my lanyards when I can get to the parks. When we went to DLR in December I did get the 60th anniversary pin and the Matterhorn Bobsleds one for my passive "favourite rides" quasi-collection (now at 3: Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn). I've tried to start a couple other collections, but they've always been false starts... This is where we really get into the nitty gritty...

I've toyed with both a Main Street collection and a Fantasia collection. I did amass a couple Fantasia pins, but those were the usual, off-the-rack Sorcerer Mickey and Chernabog pins (as well as a Hop Low CM pin that is undoubtedly a scrapper). Anything else, anything more interesting, is a market I'm just priced right out of. It's the same people posting the same pins on Ebay for the same exorbitant prices month after month, never selling them but never dropping their prices. I decided to quit that collection, but now I can't even get rid of the pins I do have. Maybe I'll pick it up again some time, if I happen to be in a park and see an OE dancing hippo pin or something, but that's about all I can do.

While at Disneyland, I saw the Dapper Dans set with Mickey and Co. and was tempted to buy it. But then reason stepped in. It could have been a nice start to another attempt at a Main Street collection, but did I really want to go through trying to build it? Did I have the emotional fortitude for constant, fruitless Ebay searches? Looking through threads on here with nothing? Did I have the money to start that collection and follow through? With the dropping value of the Canadian dollar, those American prices and shipping rates are just going up and up and up. Any passion I might have felt for the idea of a Main Street collection ebbed away when considering the practical issues.

I enjoy having my collection (and my wife enjoys having her little Beauty and the Beast and Tinkerbell pins), but I've admittedly petered out of starting anything new for the time being. It's so hard and expensive to get revved up again.

Congratulations on the new wee one!

It's so hard and expensive to get revved up again.

thank you sir. From one Kory to another. I have a little less than a year to get ready for crazy disney time agian. We like to start babytraderII off with her first trip on her first birthday. That is how we started with Babytrader1 and the way we started our pin hobby. We never really trade much. Only due to not having the right LE pins everyone wants. But we are collectors of pins I guess. The pins come with good times at dlr. I'm not sure how many trips we made that first year, but we made more friends here and at events than could last a life time. Maybe we will start up the pot luck lunch than agian. We always liked to go there and see everyone. Diffently hit up sum My d-pins events if they still have them. So it's time to get ready. My goal will be 40 days at dlr for my birthday year of 40.

WWWDD

thank you sir. From one Kory to another... My goal will be 40 days at dlr for my birthday year of 40.

Hi other Kory! I guess living in California makes 40 days of Disney relatively easy :) It's a little further and fewer between for us here in Canada!

I've never had the chance to go to any pin events. Did chat and trade with some traders in DLR in 2012 when I happened across them. That was because of that trip that I actually decided to collect pins (vs. just having a few as souvenirs). My honeymoon in WDW did coincide with a pin event, but it just didn't fit into our schedule. I did have good chats with castmembers, including a couple who were actually excited about my 20,000 Leagues collection, but no other traders. In retrospect I wish I could have gone to the cool, themed pin events when they were still holding them (like Camp Pin-E-Ha-Ha, mostly because I'm a big Ranger Woodlore and Humphrey fan), but I didn't exactly have the money then anyways.

Anyways, good luck with raising a new little trader!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back