• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

I am done with Disney pins !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't do that actually. There are members who are not trading at the moment and as such their pins will not be visible. It really is not that big of a deal to have to log in first. We became very spoiled with the simpler website.

Nothing against you personally, David, I know you're only being told what they want you to hear. It was the same way when I was doing some testing for them several years ago.

I am a professional web developer. I know how sites and cookies and logins and user account databases work. Keeping our logins to only 4 hours "for our safety", or not allowing people to view members pins if they're not logged in, they're just code for "I don't want to spend the time making this work."

"But you don't know how complicated the system is!" they might reply. That's nonsense. I've dealt with database-driven web-applications far more complicated than PinPics could ever become.

There is no "we can't do that actually" in web development. There is only how much time and effort the developer fears it will take to do it.

Hi Li,

Please lmk if they want to put the links back on the left again. If not we have just posted a way to work around it.

I pointed him to this thread, post #53 where the PinPics Ambassador said PP wanted to talk. I didn't ask him what he thought. I'll send him a message again on FB.

Nothing against you personally, David, I know you're only being told what they want you to hear. It was the same way when I was doing some testing for them several years ago.

I am a professional web developer. I know how sites and cookies and logins and user account databases work. Keeping our logins to only 4 hours "for our safety", or not allowing people to view members pins if they're not logged in, they're just code for "I don't want to spend the time making this work."

"But you don't know how complicated the system is!" they might reply. That's nonsense. I've dealt with database-driven web-applications far more complicated than PinPics could ever become.

There is no "we can't do that actually" in web development. There is only how much time and effort the developer fears it will take to do it.

Wow. I like how you say that. I was trying to say something like that. I David is doing his best and like the member that helped before, he can only say what he knows and or is told to say.

i didn't know about the code and web stuff. I just know at one time things did work here. Pin pics was made to work with this site. So if it worked in the past, my thought was it can work agian. Now reading your words I get that the real awnsers may be they don't want it to work.

I dont understand being separate and in competition. Disney is for us all and our families!!!

WWWDD

Sweet!!!! Looks like a fix has been found. You would think pin pics would like this team up. It only helps us all to use the site more. Just like old days, they work well together.

thank you any and all people that made this happen.

WWWDD

Wow. I like how you say that. I was trying to say something like that. I David is doing his best and like the member that helped before, he can only say what he knows and or is told to say.

I just wanted to clarify my statement, because in retrospect people could say I'm claiming PinPics is run by a secret cabal. :p

I don't think David is being told to say anything. I was never told to say anything. The people at PinPics are certainly doing the best they can with the new design they ended up with. It just so happens that there are a lot of things wrong with the new design. It's been getting better (and I've said as such before!), but there was still a lot of "user-friendliness" and usefulness swept away in the old design that hasn't returned in the new. But this isn't because they don't want to fix things...

PinPics costs a lot to run, and AFAIK the developer they are working with is not a volunteer. So every kvetch that something is still missing in the new design is viewed by the PinPics admins though the prism of "is this worth fixing?" This is certainly understandable, and I'll shamefully admit that I've sometimes been among those kvetching. :( I'm sorry about this.

When PinPics was going through their redesign, I offered to help them with coding. After viewing the beta of the new site, I strongly recommended taking the old PinPics and modernizing it instead. I was willing to do that for free, but they'd already sunk a lot of time and money into the new version so they weren't going to abandon it.

I still love and use PinPics daily and I would still love to help them streamline and clean up the new PinPics site. I can't offer emergency support, but I would be very enthusiastic to contribute as a developer to help make the site the celebrated hub it once was.

i didn't know about the code and web stuff. I just know at one time things did work here. Pin pics was made to work with this site. So if it worked in the past, my thought was it can work agian. Now reading your words I get that the real awnsers may be they don't want it to work.

I dont understand being separate and in competition. Disney is for us all and our families!!!

WWWDD

So I want to clear one thing up. They don't tell me to say anything. Everything I say is my words not theirs. When it comes to the technical side I do listen to what they say and try to pass along exactly what I understand. When I am unsure of something you can be assured that I will say that. As for the they you mention not wanting it to work, as I said before, it is a two way street. We found a way to work around the problem so we are very happy to help bring this back. A lot of the changes at pinpics are because of our members suggestions. We are always happy to listen. Some things go on the list to look at in the future, some things get changed right away and some things are not possible for any number of reasons.

If anybody has requests for changes you can always pm me or post here. Please remember to ask nicely though, you are dealing with people after all and we do have feelings also. Pinpics is not some thing that just works, it is a place that people spend a lot of time keeping updated and moving forward. Most of us volunteer our time because we believe in the site and want to give back to the pin community. As such we deserve respect, in my not so humble opinion at least.

Sorry that words don't always tell everything someone maybe thinking. I never was tring to say that people have a script or made to say other words. My thought is that they are smart enough to pick members that are liked around here and also that who ever is talking to DPF for pin pics will say what they know. So that's not the same as being made or told to say things. What I was talking about is that any one working for any company can only tell what they know. With that said, I'm sure things could be left out at times or said in a matter that looks best for said company.

agian big thank you for the links. Glad to see the team-work going on.

WWWDD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back