• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

New pins with incomplete waffling

I’ve noticed the same with other mystery packs I picked up directly at Disneyland. I commented about it on fb and how I remember when that indicated fakes/scrappers before. People there were saying that Disney pins are being manufactured at more than one factory and quality is not the same.

Had that happen to me a long time ago on one of the purchase with purchase lanyard starter sets. Frustrating lack of quality control i guess :confused:
Really like the front design on those pins though :) nice looking set.

crossposting @hopemax's guide here, in case it's useful, or if anyone missed it -- will crosspost this thread in there too.

Thanks! Although, I don't really go into the waffling details as much in that guide, as I was planning on going into it when I get to the "Checking for Authenticity Clues."

But yes, some pins do not have waffles running off the side of the edge. I think this is a sign of which particular factory produced a pin. One, may have them run off, another may stop. I don't think it's as people say "poor quality control" because I think it is intentional, by the way machinery is configured.

When borders first started showing up on pins, they were ugly and obvious. They were several millimeters wide and, I don't know quite how to explain, but they were a "high" point on the back of the pin. I think because the real pin was used to make a cast, and then the fake had this extra metal around the edge. While the ones shown in the image above, the border forms a "low" point, or is recessed in comparison to the top of the back. There used to be an old guide someone made with photos, but I can't find it anymore. I tried to avoid picking them up, so while I do have a couple I can take comparison shots to show a difference between that type of border, and the ones that happen on authentic pins, I'm not sure I can make an extensive guide, without getting my hands on more fakes. But these low borders, contrary to public belief, are not new. The Animation Art mystery set that was released in 2012 at Pin Trading Nights... they had these type of borders on some of the pins. Not that I'm sure anyone besides me remembers that. There's just never been a systematic list put together of which authentic pins have them, and which don't. So when people do encounter them, they freak out.

Back