• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

pinpics is Moving!! updated info!!! 1/21/11 see below original post

Status
Not open for further replies.
pinpics is Moving!! updated info!!! 1/21/11 see below original post

suez

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIGGY just posted this on PIN TALK!!!
may want to keep this pinned at the top
PinPics is Moving

Ok so the server crashes have finally driven my hubby right around the bend. Not to mention the fact that our "monitored" server was down all night despite the fact that a ticket went to reboot it last night at 9:45. That is just unacceptable and so we are moving servers. This will be NO DOWNTIME! However once we get pinpics moved over the current site will become read only and you will need to redo your cookie for pinpics in order to be directed to the new site on a regular basis.

Three Cheers for hubby. The new server will be a little faster and hopefully have no server crashes like the current one. This move will be happening within the next few days so just keep watch for the move.

figgy​

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/21/11 update at 530ish pm

[A quick update for everyone: I will transfer PinTalk late tonight sometime. While the transfer is in progress you'll see a "we're moving" page at the old site until the new one becomes available. The actual data transfer won't take long, but I may run into a few configuration and database issues on the other end before it's working.

It will take about 24 hours for the pintalk.com name to reflect the change, but in the meantime I'll try to provide a temporary link on the "we're moving" page. I don't know how gracefully the vBulletin software handles temporary links, but I guess we'll find out. In the worst case I'll keep the "we're moving" page updated with the latest news about the move.

PinPics will be moved in the same way, but I'm going to hold off until PinTalk is done and I have a better idea how painful the process is likely to be.

I don't know whether cookies will transfer gracefully, but I suspect that vBulletin will handle that part without any pain on your end. You may have to log off and back on or something easy like that.

Thanks for bearing with us, and I'm excited to get everything over to the newer server. I suspect that Bev's blood pressure will drop a few notches once this is all finally put to rest, and everyone can send her e-hugs until then. Here's mine: *hug*

-britt /QUOTE]

Last edited:
Wow, they're really going above and beyond. It must be a ton of work to keep Pinpics going. Big thanks to those who maintain it.

-JD

PinPics is moving!

This was posted and I'm not sure if it will effect our links or not.
PinPics is Moving

Ok so the server crashes have finally driven my hubby right around the bend. Not to mention the fact that our "monitored" server was down all night despite the fact that a ticket went to reboot it last night at 9:45. That is just unacceptable and so we are moving servers. This will be NO DOWNTIME! However once we get pinpics moved over the current site will become read only and you will need to redo your cookie for pinpics in order to be directed to the new site on a regular basis.

Three Cheers for hubby. The new server will be a little faster and hopefully have no server crashes like the current one. This move will be happening within the next few days so just keep watch for the move.

Thanks for posting Margaret! Hopefully if it is a server move then it should be invisible to us apart from redirecting our browser on first visit - the main worry is whether or not all the links to Pinpics pins is our various signatures, posts & for sale/buy threads will be affected - I hope not!

Good thing they are moving - right in the middle of a trade, it crashed again (1-20-2011, 11:20 EDT). Maybe this will fix the problems they have. Most frustrating.

It depends on what browser you are using. I am using Chrome. If I click on the wrench, then select options, I will see a tab for "under the hood." If I select that, there will be a "Clear browsing data" button. On Firefox, you can go to Tools, Options, Privacy. Then click on the "Clear individual cookie" link, and then search for pinpics.com . IE is a similar path, but I don't know what it is.

However, we will also be dependent on the DNS getting updated, which can take a little bit of time to propagate down through all the ISP's. We think in terms of website addresses, so pinpics.com. But when our computer talks to our ISP, it talks to a bigger database that says, "you want to go to pinpics.com, then I need to connect to this specific IP address." When the move happens, there will be a small period of time when the database will still say, "I need to go to 'the old IP address,'" but the website will actually be in it's new home. Usually, within a day or two, your ISP will know about the new IP address. But you may see some people happily announcing they have access to the new site, and you are wondering why the heck you are getting a "site not found message."

This is wonderful news! Hoping this will resolve the site crashing issue. A huge thanks to those that keep Pin Pics going!

Thanks Sue for posting this since I haven't had a chance to read Pin Talk lately and thank you Figgy and Britt for all that you do to give us Pinpics.

Sandy your quite welcome sorry re email totally forgot about the pins I requested and the damages were up there!! but the 40th anniversary wdw pins were worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back