• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Traders or SCRAPPERS for sale???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traders or SCRAPPERS for sale???????

iamdisneydan

The Bald Guy In The Back
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
127   0   0
OK, so I mentioned in another thread I am back in action and while I have been to DSF and WDI, I needed to rtestock some traders for the park.

Being an advocate of NO SCRAPPERS I wanted to do the right thing so I looked for someone on the forum selling some pins at a reasonable price. I will not say who this person is but I purchased 50 pins for $150.00 which is not a bad deal.

I was guaranteed that these are all real pins and tradeable at the park.

OK, sure they are all REAL pins and sure they are all TRADEABLE at the park and they were also all scrappers and counterfeits. I contacted the seller and told them look! I am pretty educated and also help other people to know what scrappers and counterfeits are and you also know me so how could you do this.

They swore they were real. Can you really buy real pins for $1.50? I told them I wanted my money back and was not going to pay for shipping back either because they misrepresented the pins. When they refused again, I said no problem, I will be at your door tonight.

Yes! they were local enough that I could get there in 20 minutes or so. Once they knew I may come over, they refunded my money even before I sent the pins back.

My point is what a bunch of CR@P. My time and money and also the fact that they had the nerve to send known scrappers, and not even good ones at that. These were in no way mistaked for good pins.

I wonder if I should call this person out, and then I think, how many other people have bought these pins and dont know the difference and that the same pins are on ebay for 75 cents.

The whole point of buying from someone on the forum is to buy real pins, and yeah it cost more.

So really! How many of you are buying scrappers to trade on lanyards and just dont admit it? Of course none of you will but I am certain plenty of you do.

I wont lie to you, I am tempted to go back to ebay because I am getting fed up with lies, scrappers and cr@p and if thats all I am going to get, I may as well pay as little as I can for them.

(I did not say I will, its a rant)

What do you have to say? Can you buy real pins for $1.50? $2.00?

I have to say yes and no. I have purchsed some FABULOUS pins, yes real, through the forum for 2-3$ each, but then on the other hand, have purchased other pin lots off of the forum and received scrap. I think it boils down to just educating yourself. As you know Dan, I have contacted you several times about scrap vs real lol. I have done my best to make sure and verify the quality of the pins I have purchased - be it at any amount of $$, but even at that I am sure that scrap has slipped through without knowing it.

I have been skeptical of that as well. The numbers, situation, plus comments made just don't add up. Really sucks that this happened. :(.

I don't think you need to call them out in a thread, just leave negative feedback. That will speak for itself.

I ONLY buy my traders from Disney- DS, or when someone is kind enough to take me to WDW Cast Connection or DL Company D. Sometimes the sets work out to $2-3 per pin.

Dan,

I bought from that same seller! Same thing. I was broken hearted because they acted so genuine in their sales pitch! I only bought 50 pins. I ended up letting my kids keep some and making magnets out of the others. I wrote the seller off and don't communicate with them any more! They claim that their proximity to DLR helps them to have so many traders, but well, they lied!

I feel your pain and understand completely your rant.

A Loooooooooonnnngggg time ago (in a galaxy far far away) I bought traders on Ebay, $1.50 each. I learned my lesson there.Now, try not to buy too many traders in bulk. At most, 10 at a time to make sure that I do have a problem with them, and if I do I know that they didn't cost much. I find it easier to buy individual pins from the boards that have good trade vs. want ratios and use them for traders. Of course, I'm sure I'd try to figure out a good way to buy a bunch of traders at once if I was closer to a Disney Park!

Can you buy pins for $1.50-$2? Yes, you can. But it is not regular enough, and there are purchase limits. Via, Cast Connection at WDW, they had about 5 styles of pins they were selling for 99 cents, and you could buy 25 per style. Also, there were another 8-10 styles of pins you could buy for $1.99, again you can only buy 25 per style. There was another time they were selling a couple different types of Hidden Mickey pouches, for $1.99. So $1 per pin. And just this month, I realized I would be low on park traders so I asked my Mom to check to see if there were cheap pins at Cast Connection. She ended up picking up a bunch of these
pin72225
and a couple of these
pin72300
. They were $6.99, so the price per pin, gets them below $2.

You can also usually find these same deals at the Character Warehouse stores. But once the word gets out they are gone in a flash. The time we bought the HM pouches, between my parents and me buying our limit, the rack was almost empty. You can pick up enough, to keep yourself stocked up for a time, but not enough to make a regular business out of it, since most pins are only discounted to the $4-$6 range.

I sell my excess traders at around $1.50 each so yes, I think you can absolutely get cheaper traders.

I'm pretty sure I know who you are talking about and honestly, it makes me sad as I think it makes people question if they are going to get the same junk from me. Hopefully my references help me out, but it is sad that someone is taking advantage of people here on the boards.

I just flat out don't buy them. I don't trust nor like the $1.50 trader lots. I don't care if they came from the person I trusted most in the pin world... I just don't buy trader lots. lol

I look for people selling old collections that may have good trader pins in it. I don't ever take your typical trader pins to the parks, not once in all my trips have I done so b/c I have never wanted to buy a trader lot. Now, I know that is a bit extreme but I have just had good luck buying fun old collections of "different" pins that usually there are no scrappers of and not from a seller who sells trader lots all the time. I just don't know where you manage to get pins under $2 that are real for you to sell over and over again. I am NOT calling out anyone here so don't get upset with me, just saying why I refuse to buy them personally.

Now I have managed to get pins for $1-$2 a pin when I come across somebody just wanting to get rid of some old pins they have so I still can get a great deal but without having to turn to your people who are always selling those traders, that is all. :)

Definitely leave negative feedback so others don't have this happen to them though.

Last edited:
I don't trade off CM lanyards unless they are hard to get pins so I don't need many traders. I bought a collection a long time ago and still have so many pins from that I don't need traders. I also bought pins from here for about $2 when someone needs to get rid of pins. Most of what I want off my list is going to require something other than traders. I do give a lot of pins to folks, especially kids, at WDW when I go.

Dan, I feel your pain. Everytime I get a pin I check, double check, and triple check to be sure it's real. Until I convince myself I worry. Sad what scrappers have done to traders.

I'll openly admit to purchasing a bag of traders on ebay for $1.50 each to trade at the parks last year and thought nothing of it. Then on that trip someone handed me a DPF card with the web address and I signed up as soon as I got home. I was very disappointed to learn about scrappers - not only the ones I purchased but the ones I traded for in the parks as well.

Now I avoid most sellers that advertise trading lots because I'm wary of what I might get - although I did have the fortune to get an amazing lot of pins from Karen a few months ago for $2-$3 each with a few DA and LE pins thrown in the mix. I think when you find someone like that that is selling their collection, you can luck out and get deals.

I picked a bunch of $1 pins from the Disney Character Outlet. They were clearing out unwanted HM Mystery packs. And they made great legit traders.

last spring, FL cast store and outlets had pins for $.49 each and others for $.99. Needless to say, I bought tons and they sold out quickly. I'm starting to run out of traders, so I've been looking for good deal. Comp D at DLand always has pins for $3 each (sometimes nice LEs). I also saw they sometimes have 2-pin packs for $3 which comes out to $1.50.

I have purchased mystery bags at Character warehouse for $1.99, each bag contains two pins (like someone already mentioned). I have also been lucky a few times on Dis shopping with some booster packs (4 pins, i think the price was was 6.99). I have never purchased trader lots for the reasons you have already listed. I certainly do hope that they receive negative feedback, so that other members who are considering purchasing these lots go in with their eyes open. They should know that this particular person's trader lots can't be trusted. I would hate for a newbie to get burned on the DPF.

As you all know, I am well aware of what scrappers are and have written many articles about them. What bothered me is I know this person and this person swore to me that they really were real.

You all know me, I know you cany buy pins on eBay for $1.00 and expext them to be real, but like WDWjuan and a few others said, sometimes, directly from Disney, you can get even 50 cent pins. Here is a great example.

Imagine I (iamdisneydan) said I had a few lots of traders for $1.50 each. You would trust me right, because you all kinda know me and what I stand for, now lets say you received scrappers. Would you first think I did not know? and second, you would be pissed for me lying.

I think I feel more betrayed. This person knew. What were they thinking? REAL PINS? Its no different than any of you. It was not a too good to be true. It was a trusted trader.

Thats my problem and I think most of you who mentioned who it is had the same experience with the same person. Like I said, would you expect that from me? No F'ing way.

I sell my excess traders at around $1.50 each so yes, I think you can absolutely get cheaper traders.

I'm pretty sure I know who you are talking about and honestly, it makes me sad as I think it makes people question if they are going to get the same junk from me. Hopefully my references help me out, but it is sad that someone is taking advantage of people here on the boards.

I have bought some amazing pins from Brea for $1.50 each. All genuine too.

Occasionally here in the UK, I have managed to get brand new pins mint on card for 99p so about $1.50. I think that's because there are less traders buying pins in the uk from ebay than in the US.

I am really knacked off for you Dan, you thought they would have avoided sending them to you at all costs given your reputation as the anti-scrapper Jedi. I'm glad you got your money back, but you'll never get your time back. What are some people thinking??

I feel like this posting is making people think that Dan is talking about me since I am the only person selling pins here for $1.50. I live in Vegas and have never sold pins to Dan. Personally, when it comes to buying trader lots, I would make sure before ordering pins from someone anywhere that they guarantee the pins you are purchasing. I do my best to send out good pins. I guarantee my traders and allow anyone to send whatever they are uncomfortable with back for replacement pins no questions asked. It would be stupid for me to intentionally send out bad pins as the extra postage will cost me money. No one... not even Dan the Man, knows every scrapper out there. I can not say that I have never sent out a bad pin unknowingly, but I do replace it if someone questions any of them so how can that be a bad thing. I know that there are scrappers everywhere. I actually take the time to look up the pins I get on pinpics before sending them out to make sure they are all good when ever possible. A lot of work goes into trying to provide good pins at a low price. I refuse to sell traders on the Bay because I do not want the association to all the known scrapper sellers there. It is getting very frustrating to have to go through everything I do to try and provide the best pins I can, only to feel like I am being trashed for no reason. Of course I could be wrong, but who else sells traders here for $1.50

Hi Darlene
I have gotten wonderful pins from you ,I should of mentioned that as well..when I mentioned Brea
I am sorry about that

Last edited:
I feel like this posting is making people think that Dan is talking about me since I am the only person selling pins here for $1.50. I live in Vegas and have never sold pins to Dan. Personally, when it comes to buying trader lots, I would make sure before ordering pins from someone anywhere that they guarantee the pins you are purchasing. I do my best to send out good pins. I guarantee my traders and allow anyone to send whatever they are uncomfortable with back for replacement pins no questions asked. It would be stupid for me to intentionally send out bad pins as the extra postage will cost me money. No one... not even Dan the Man, knows every scrapper out there. I can not say that I have never sent out a bad pin unknowingly, but I do replace it if someone questions any of them so how can that be a bad thing. I know that there are scrappers everywhere. I actually take the time to look up the pins I get on pinpics before sending them out to make sure they are all good when ever possible. A lot of work goes into trying to provide good pins at a low price. I refuse to sell traders on the Bay because I do not want the association to all the known scrapper sellers there. It is getting very frustrating to have to go through everything I do to try and provide the best pins I can, only to feel like I am being trashed for no reason. Of course I could be wrong, but who else sells traders here for $1.50

I would hope people know its not you. You and I have know and traded with each other many times. I know you take great pride in good trades so just so no-one thinks it's you, of course its not. I did mention they were 20 minutes away and I think most people know I am in Redondo Beach Cal and your in Lost Wages.....I mean Las Vegas. You and Darleen are great traders and I would buy from you anytime.

Just wanted to throw this out there.

This situation is a perfect example why the feedback system is the way it is set up here. If a deal is bad, leave negative feedback with the note saying what the problem was. That's the only way people will truly know.

I'm sorry to hear about a bad deal through the boards. I have had nothing but good experiences with purchases and trades here. Even when a few suspect pins slipped through the cracks, the seller has made good on the error. I like feeling I can trust purchasing from anyone with 100% positive feedback here, and I'd hope that could continue, but we have to do our best to be honest with our feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back