• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

delete post plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
delete post plz
First we have a huge list for the programmers, but I swear they are working like one armed men in a butt kicking contest to get all of it done, think of what was wrong a few weeks ago, it is getting better but it will take some time, not soon enough for us all I know but it will. I believe that particualr bug was very high on his list and should be completed before thanksgiving.

Will we get to see this list? It's hard to know when to send in a bug report or a usability question when we don't already know what is on the "fix" list. I don't think people want to "bother" anyone by reporting something that is already known, but that just opens the door for things to remain broken because Pinpics staff didn't know it was an issue.

Will we eventually get to see the total number of owns we have?

Will we have the ability to toggle display options to a larger size than 20 pins per page?

Will we be able to compare more than the three options we're given (owns/owns, trades/wants, wants/trades). Because those other options were useful for zapping people when a pin might not be on their wants list and you wanted to make sure they didn't already own it (your trades/their owns). Or I would compare my lists to my Dad's list all the time (which pins do I want that he owns, so I don't have to try so hard to get those and vice versa)

Will print css files (or other, but I know you can use CSS) be used so printing a single pin's information, (so you can have your parent shop for something and they like print outs) won't take 3 pages to print. Despite the website having a cute printer icon which usually means printer friendly?

Will the search allow for for directly looking up pin #100 or pin #1000 without returning all the pins that are LE100 or 1000 or have that number in their name like the 100 Years of Magic? (imagine you get a PM here that says, "hey I want to trade PP100 for your PP2500," but they don't give you any other info besides the number, and then see what happens)

Will there be a profile option where you can set Classes? I don't want to have to search both Pins Only and Pin Accessory only when I'm looking to add things to my wants, but it seems the only alternative, because I don't want to search Artist Proof, Prototype or Buttons. So on old site, I can do a search once, on new site I either have to wade through a bunch of stuff I don't want, or perform multiple searches.

When the site first went live I asked why only some LE numbers were options in the drop-down list, and I mentioned LE750 specifically. That was apparently interpreted as LE750 is missing. There are many other LExxx numbers missing LE10,000, LE5000, LE3500, LE400, LE75, etc. I don't actually know how many are missing. Are these ever going to be added?

Similar question will the LExxx numbers in the drop down list ever be arranged numerically and not alphabetically?

View Series, is working better but there are still problems. I just tried to View Series for a WDI 50th Anniversary pin (20762) and it came up with over 5000 results and neither the pictured options or the relevant results were the rest of that series but a generic "50th Anniversary." And when I went to view series for one of the pins in the DLR Original Attractions series (43446) one of the 4 pictured options was for 43447 which doesn't even exist in the database anymore. On the new site, I can click on the picture and actually see the old listing. When we find these errors (returning a deleted result, or a series that doesn't work right), what are we supposed to do with them?

Originally, some Origins were deleted. Like Europe, Unknown, and a couple others. Now, those are back for the new site, but the fields for the old pins haven't been repopulated. I looked up the total entries for Pins/Pins Accessories/ESPN pins, and then broke it down per Origin. It turns out that there are over 4800 pins that have no Origin at all. Many of those should. For example, there are about approx 550 Sedesma, 300 Propin, 125 Carrefour, 140 Bertoni pins which should all be Europe (but not DLRP). But that still leaves 3500 pins with no Origin. So the question is, will these ever be restored to what their Origin was?

Adding comments, how are we supposed to do it? Because as good as the moderators think they are, there are still mistakes in the listings. Why are the Designer Princess Fairytale pins listed as D23 Origin? They are DisneyStore.com merchandise that were sold at a D23 event, but that doesn't make them D23. D23 wasn't responsible for their creation in anyway. Also, this weekend's WDI Jessica's don't have adequate descriptions. My Mom was trying to order some online (no, they aren't sold out :) ), and we were trying to figure out which pin was which. The pictures are broken for these pins and they only say things like "Jessica dressed as Critter Country Cast Member." No description of what that means though. It's been 7 years since we've been to DL, so we don't know what they are wearing. Like what color are her pants or top, is she wearing a skirt or pants, what about a hat. This is one of my biggest issues with both old and new Pinpics, because it seems like people never really followed the instructions from the old site to describe a pin fully, and "do not assume people will be looking at the picture." But the new site doesn't even have instructions. So pins will be added with only their Disneyparksmerchandise.com descriptions or not even that much. But those descriptions aren't actually describing the pin, so the colors, shapes, position of hands and which way they are facing (very important when you have a basic Mickey or Minnie pin) are not included, which makes the pin difficult to search for. On the old site, someone could at least comment with a full description or add keywords. There are situations where neither the pin adder or the moderator who approves the listing will know "the full story" behind a pin either.

And yes, all the trade assistant stuff. When Merryweather and I were trying to figure out stuff, it seemed like if one person deleted something from their box, then it was automatically deleted from both boxes. I've seen several people comment that they received an email notification but then went to Pinpics and there was nothing there. Also, people are wondering about when they do receive responses through the new site, it doesn't quote the original trade so they don't know what the person is accepting. I haven't played around too much with it, but those are the two biggies I've seen frustrating people: trade requests that don't seem to exist, and trades not being quoted in replies.

Hi there,

Why no I did not but perhaps I can answer that here,
Are you getting these trade request via email? If you are this is being done thru the old PP site, <some users never empty caches so have the cookies still active to use the old TA> if the message is via email it is from the old system, so when you log into the new PP you are looking for an email that doesnt exsist to that system<the old PP did not have a respond function like the PM functin now, so any TA was handled private email to private email, i think this is what happened to you.

Now as for the white screen, we actually had a discussion about that last evening, perhaps your thread sparked it, but we agreed there should and will be a message conformation listed on the screen, again one of the list of things to be accomplished and it is noted so we will be fixing it, however I do not think that the messages are being lost, as with TA from the new site, Many members are not checking their mailboxes on regular basis so when they do check and see that the mail they have is 2 or 3 weeks old they may decide to simply delete as outdated, I cannot say for sure,but as far as we know messages are going thru...

The conformation notice, that we will implement, u betcha!!!

We are doing all that we can to make the search engine as comprehensive as possible, is it perfect , no ,, is it better ? for most of us yes,, Will it improve with time, ? Of course it will,
Look we are not trying to pretend that this is a dream machine, it aint, however it is the best we have and unless you want to try to overtake the entire pin market, it is the one that is being used as the standard world wide,
Can we get the search engine better, yes, When? Well if you know anything about computers you know that aint a 13 of Feb kinda answer, but we are trying, like you we get up each day to try to make the database that everyone uses better, to make the information alittle bit more accurate and precise, No Rome wasnt built in a day, and it took PP over 12 yrs to get the database this big, give us a chance to continue to make it better each day....

As for the order of age of pins<ie older or newer> I am totally unaware where that feature is/was, if on the old site, I never saw it, which isnt saying it wasnt there, but I didnt see, on the new version at present we have no plans or ideas to implement this search criteria at this time, we may in the future but for now, nope.

It took some getting used to, but I'm overall content with the new website. Especially a website of that scale that does the things it does for me for free. (It took some time, but I got used to it.)

I can't find a page that shows the newest pins, am I just over looking it? I know you have the sliding marquee-type thing on the front page, but it goes PAINFULLY slow in my opinion.

Also - photos. Are these the last thing of importance for now? I've sent in photos for several pins who had either terrible photos, or none at all. A few have been picked up, but some still have no photo available.

It took some getting used to, but I'm overall content with the new website. Especially a website of that scale that does the things it does for me for free. (It took some time, but I got used to it.)

I can't find a page that shows the newest pins, am I just over looking it? I know you have the sliding marquee-type thing on the front page, but it goes PAINFULLY slow in my opinion.

Also - photos. Are these the last thing of importance for now? I've sent in photos for several pins who had either terrible photos, or none at all. A few have been picked up, but some still have no photo available.

You have to hit "New" on the main page. Then "View All Pins" on the next page. That will give you the new pins listed with multiple pages. (FYI, the DLP Rapunzel Christmas pins were just added!)

When will the new site have a better search feature as you can search for a pin with very specific criteria i.e. could put same description in on the old site and it would appear with very few results yet the new site gives you SO many unrelated pins that should not be there and are only there because you put *stitch* with other criteria in the search box.

In the search box you need to put +Stitch +other criteria. You need to use the + sign with each word. The old site (and most sites, like Ebay) automatically interpret let's say Lilo Stitch as all pins that contain both the term Lilo AND Stitch. New Pinpics interprets that as Lilo OR Stitch. So you need to do it +Stitch +Lilo. Or let's say the pin has some words on it. On the old site you could just type those words and it would find it. On the new site you should put them in quotes (this does work like Ebay) so you could search "St Patrick's Day". And to combine it, you can do fancy searches like:

+"St Patrick's Day" +Stitch

You need the + on both things, because if you do "St Patrick's Day" + Stitch you get 5000+ results because it starts listing other holidays after St. Patrick's Day, and then when you change the sorting option to Oldest or Newest, you get a big mess.

When in doubt, add + signs.

Also where (or when if not already there) can you set the search results to show old to new rather than new to old or the other option thats there (I forgot)

When the results are returned, in the middle of the screen, under the banner ad, there is a dropdown list. Sort by: Newest, Oldest or Relevance. Just select the way you want from the dropdown list.

Last edited:

From the main navigation bar (where it says Gallery Old Site Forum etc) click on "Gallery." On the next page, in the upper right is a "View All Pins" box. Click on that.

Last edited:
I have two questions about the new sight:

1) The first one was asked by Hopemax but I didn't see where you answered it so I will ask again. When you get a reply back from a TA that you sent out, the reply doesn't include which pins were being offered so you have to go to your sent folder and look through all of the messages that were sent out and find the one that was sent to that person to figure out which pins are being offered.

2) When you want to set up a TA and you go through all of the steps (check marking the pins that you want to offer and then check marking the people you want to offer the trade to) and then you go to do the final step and click on the "Send Message" tab, on some pins it says that that the message was sent and on others Nothing happens. Why does this happen? Why does nothing happen? It's like the "Send Message" button does not work for these pins. I have tried this for the same pin on several computers and it does the same thing on all of them.
Here is one of the pins that this happens with: Pin 30977: WDW - Tink's Summer Pin Quest - Traveling Tink - Tomorrowland (Stitch)

No questions right now... reading all your replies...

suggestion: When you are answering questions on here, hit the reply with quote so folks see which question your answering?

And maybe, just maybe, put a brief summary of question and where the answer can be located as a list in your OP for people to quick reference?

Thank you for do this Lucan!

Hey Tbird,

okey dokey to answer you and hope, whom I did not overlook, i just got waylaid by a puppy who needed a bladder break!!

We have seen this problem arise as well with the no return info for replies, my answer to you both is we are going to be fixing this one too, even the high hoe mucky mucks agreed this feature was somethnig to be reworked, we arent really sure why it isnt returning emails, save for the fact that the person you are offering the trade too doesnt click on the reply to message part and just highlights your name and starts a new message, in either case we are trying to get this PIA little thing replaced or repaired.

The TA blank page issue is a repeat of one of the previous post in this thread, yes we are aware of it as a glitch, and yuppers we are trying to get it fixed,

No questions right now... reading all your replies...

suggestion: When you are answering questions on here, hit the reply with quote so folks see which question your answering?

And maybe, just maybe, put a brief summary of question and where the answer can be located as a list in your OP for people to quick reference?

Thank you for do this Lucan!

YOUR WELCOME!!!!, We are trying to communicate with the community to make sure that the Pin public understands two very important things

A>PInpics has been/is/and is intended to be, a place for pin trading to continue to grow and share, both its vast history and its wonderfull art.

B>Pinpics is by no means static anymore, we will continue to inovate, create, listen, refine and maintain the best source of Disney Pin information in the world,

We invite the community to help us to help you!!!!!

Hi there,

Why no I did not but perhaps I can answer that here,
Are you getting these trade request via email? If you are this is being done thru the old PP site, <some users never empty caches so have the cookies still active to use the old TA> if the message is via email it is from the old system, so when you log into the new PP you are looking for an email that doesnt exsist to that system<the old PP did not have a respond function like the PM functin now, so any TA was handled private email to private email, i think this is what happened to you.

Now as for the white screen, we actually had a discussion about that last evening, perhaps your thread sparked it, but we agreed there should and will be a message conformation listed on the screen, again one of the list of things to be accomplished and it is noted so we will be fixing it, however I do not think that the messages are being lost, as with TA from the new site, Many members are not checking their mailboxes on regular basis so when they do check and see that the mail they have is 2 or 3 weeks old they may decide to simply delete as outdated, I cannot say for sure,but as far as we know messages are going thru...

The conformation notice, that we will implement, u betcha!!!

Thanks for the information and dealing with a crazy amount of questions!

Yes, I was receiving the requests via email, thanks for making it clear it was from the old site :)

For those looking for the same answer here it is! (I almost didn't see it because I didn't know who this was addressing haha.) This is in answer to the whole, emails about TA but no TA notification and the blank screen after private messages are sent

Last edited:
A few more things...

Mobile/Tablet functionality. On Old Pin Talk, I posted photos of what I get on my iPhone and my iPad when I try to search a member. Basically, it doesn't display members when they are searched, which means I can't use Pinpics on my phone to see my wants list, or collection or compare it to someone else. It's a good thing I'm not local and attending PTNs because not being able to look those up and compare pins with people would be a deal breaker. So is there mobile testing going on?

Second, this is more of an explanation on how I used a feature on Old Pinpics, and I'm wondering if there would be anything like it added to New Pinpics. Basically, the edit wants/collection/trades checkboxes you can get from the My Pinpics page. I can see how people can easily think that that feature is redundant with the add to wants/trades/owns boxes on each individual pin's listing. Most of the time, that is how I would add pins to each of those lists, but in a couple of instances I would go to the My Pinpics edit pages. Namely, Epcot pin events and Hidden Mickey lists. In both of those cases, I would need to add 50 or more pins to owns or wants at one time. It takes a lot of time to go to each pin page individually, and mark them appropriately. The option to edit via the My Pinpics page allowed me to just click everything off, in only a minute or so. I also imagine being able to click 50 checkboxes and save was less stressful for the server too, but I'm not that techy enough to know. So will there ever be a multi-add screen where you can add many pins all in one go vs going to each pin's page to add?

Will there ever be a create shopping list or similar "sandbox" type group, where people can create their own personalized list of "something"? I can't tell you how many times I would create a temporary private pin group and add a dozen of more pins so that a friend or my parents or I could print it to carry around while they were on a trip.

A few more things...

Second, this is more of an explanation on how I used a feature on Old Pinpics, and I'm wondering if there would be anything like it added to New Pinpics. Basically, the edit wants/collection/trades checkboxes you can get from the My Pinpics page. I can see how people can easily think that that feature is redundant with the add to wants/trades/owns boxes on each individual pin's listing. Most of the time, that is how I would add pins to each of those lists, but in a couple of instances I would go to the My Pinpics edit pages. Namely, Epcot pin events and Hidden Mickey lists. In both of those cases, I would need to add 50 or more pins to owns or wants at one time. It takes a lot of time to go to each pin page individually, and mark them appropriately. The option to edit via the My Pinpics page allowed me to just click everything off, in only a minute or so. I also imagine being able to click 50 checkboxes and save was less stressful for the server too, but I'm not that techy enough to know. So will there ever be a multi-add screen where you can add many pins all in one go vs going to each pin's page to add?.

YES! This is my most favorite feature of old PP. This allows you to bulk transfer, bulk add and bulk remove from your trade/wants/own. With the new site you basically have to go "in" to each pin page to make the change. It is way time consuming. If not a planned function for new PP, I'd love for you to add it to the list for consideration.

I'm going to need a tutorial on how to use the new pinpics site...call it a "New Pinpics for Dummies" for those people who don't have enough time to go figure it out (me included). But make sure the tutorial is free :)

Thanks!

I have some issues that maybe you can explain for me. I tried using the TA and I wanted an OE pin. Nothing fancy. Just a simple pin. The trade assistant only lets me pick LE pins from my list. I don't want to trade my LE's for an OE pin. Is this because it has matched me up with people who have the pin and all I have in their wants are my LE's?

I am curious why our original trade request data is not included in the responses we get from members. It makes it hard to know what the trade is all about. Is that something that will be fixed?

Also, when I respond to a message or request, I get a blank white screen and I cannot get back to Pinpics. I have to go and open it again. Are other people having this same issue?

Thanks for your help!

I've been compiling a list of my llkes/hates/wth's re. the new site to send to Pinpics, so I may as well list a few of them here:

FREAKIN' FANTASTIC:
● I can search within my own lists (e.g. "Maleficent" to see all the Maleficent pins in my collection, or "Belle" to see all the Belle pins in my traders).
● I can make notes beside the trade/want/own boxes - it appears to be intended for keeping track of how many you have of that pin, and that's great, but you can also type much more in there (e.g. 'on card', 'no card', etc.).
● I can use 'not' in a search (e.g. +mickey -minnie)
● I love the 'hover' display of pin stats.

WOULD BE BETTER IF:
● The boolean syntax rules should default to 'and' rather than 'or'. We are almost always looking for a pin that includes all of our search terms, rather than any one of those search terms, so it makes absolutely no sense to have 'or' be the default. Typing in all those '+' signs is a pain in the butt, especially on an ipad. A search like "jack sally" should give me pins that include both words, and use something like "jack / sally" to search all pins that include at least one of those words. It's actually faster to find a pin using a Google search and including 'pinpics' in the search terms.
● Shrink the display page - as markheardjr said, it's annoying to be forced to scroll down to get the pin stats.
● Add my personal t/w/o to the 'hover' display.
● Increase the number of pins displayed per page.
● Fix the system's idea of 'relevance' - when I search '12345', pin 12345 should not be the last of 20 hits.
● Allow users to set their own default for the order of search results (relevance/newest/oldest). Otherwise, at the very least, don't change my chosen order even when I'm modifying my own search. Currently, if I have my search results displaying by 'newest', and I then modify my search, the order reverts back to 'relevance'. It's annoying.
● We should be able to see more of the 'new' added pins, rather than just one short page of them.
● Let everyone (ie. not just premium members) see all the photos and see them in HD. Even if I'm a premium user, I am impacted by the fact that other members can't see all the nice pictures of my pretty traders.

IF YOU WANT TO ENCOURAGE USERS TO CONTRIBUTE INFORMATION TO THE SITE:
● Put back the user name of the person who submitted the pin. I suspect that many people added pins because they liked seeing their names on the entries, and this may be contributing to the slow-down in adding new pins. People have expressed concern about delays in pins appearing on the site, but I'd be curious to know whether the submission of new pins has in fact slowed down? If Pinpics is concerned that contributors will mistakenly think that they somehow own the listing, the name could be listed as something like 'thank you to joe-user for submitting this pin'.
● Make the HD photos visible to all members (ie. not just premium members). It just seems wrong that a user can only see a blurred-up version of a photo that he/she personally submitted. This may also be contributing to users' reluctance to add new pins.
● Allow users to add information from within a pin listing (the information could still be sent for moderation before actually appearing in the listing). Users would be more likely to submit relevant information if the process were more efficient. Personally, I've always sent a lot of additional information about pins to Pinpics, and I still try to do so, but I find myself doing it far less often now, because it takes a little longer and I simply don't have the time.
● Bring back the ability to compare owns/trades, etc., rather than just trades/wants.
● Show me how many trades/wants/owns I have.

WTH???:
● Replies to PM's do not contain the original PM - so if someone responds to my trade request, I have no idea which request they're talking about unless I go searching through my sent PM's.
● FIX THE TA. It is in no way easier to send trade requests now. The ability to see pin stats by hovering over the possible trade is great, but the system of multiple-level box-checking is not. I started to send out a trade request and the process just wore me down - it's just plain dumb. It's not that I couldn't figure it out; it's just that it's a needlessly unwieldy process and it ticked me off. Keep the TA display that you have on the new site, with the ability to see the pin stats by hovering, but use the old system of just checking off possible trades - one box to check for each pin that could be traded, period. As much as people may complain about the new site, they will continue to use Pinpics as a vital resource for organizing and researching pins, but they will probably arrange their trades elsewhere if the TA system doesn't change, and that will reduce traffic on the site.
● Fix the 'next' and 'back' functions.
● BRING BACK GROUPS ...and they should actually be expanded. The current site does not provide anything to compensate for the loss of the groups:
----> Public Groups: The groups are an invaluable resource, and the current 'series' listings are not helpful at all (and most of the ones I've seen are inaccurate in some way). In fact, the groups should be expanded and refined. To create a really valuable database, there should be groups, sub-groups, sub-sub-groups, series, etc. A database of 100,000 pins needs some structured organization. Otherwise it isn't must of a database, it's just a list. Creating useful groups would be a huge job, but I'm sure there are many people who would volunteer to help if Pinpics reached out to the community.
----> Personal Groups: Many of us made use of these groups to organize our pins. Losing them has significantly reduced the usefulness of Pinpics to me and to many others. At least the groups could be made available to premium members. If there is some concern about mis-use, make each personal group visible only to the user who created it.

And I'm sure I have a few more things noted somewhere, so I may be back...

Last edited:
So sorry. I see that some of my questions have been asked already.

I have some issues that maybe you can explain for me. I tried using the TA and I wanted an OE pin. Nothing fancy. Just a simple pin. The trade assistant only lets me pick LE pins from my list. I don't want to trade my LE's for an OE pin. Is this because it has matched me up with people who have the pin and all I have in their wants are my LE's?

I am curious why our original trade request data is not included in the responses we get from members. It makes it hard to know what the trade is all about. Is that something that will be fixed?

Also, when I respond to a message or request, I get a blank white screen and I cannot get back to Pinpics. I have to go and open it again. Are other people having this same issue?

Thanks for your help!

FREAKIN' FANTASTIC:
● I can search within my own lists (e.g. "Maleficent" to see all the Maleficent pins in my collection, or "Belle" to see all the Belle pins in my traders).

FYI, this feature was/and is available through old Pinpics. You just need to edit via the wants/trades/owns off the My Pinpics page. At the bottom, past the pictures and checkboxes, and past the button to update, is a search box. You can enter a search term in the box and then check owns, trades or wants depending on which one you want to search.

Just wanted to share, in case old site users were interested in this feature.

IF YOU WANT TO ENCOURAGE USERS TO CONTRIBUTE INFORMATION TO THE SITE:
● Put back the user name of the person who submitted the pin. I suspect that many people added pins because they liked seeing their names on the entries, and this may be contributing to the slow-down in adding new pins. People have expressed concern about delays in pins appearing on the site, but I'd be curious to know whether the submission of new pins has in fact slowed down? If Pinpics is concerned that contributors will mistakenly think that they somehow own the listing, the name could be listed as something like 'thank you to joe-user for submitting this pin'.
● Make the HD photos visible to all members (ie. not just premium members). It just seems wrong that a user can only see a blurred-up version of a photo that he/she personally submitted. This may also be contributing to users' reluctance to add new pins.
● Allow users to add information from within a pin listing (the information could still be sent for moderation before actually appearing in the listing). Users would be more likely to submit relevant information if the process were more efficient. Personally, I've always sent a lot of additional information about pins to Pinpics, and I still try to do so, but I find myself doing it far less often now, because it takes a little longer and I simply don't have the time.
● Bring back the ability to compare owns/trades, etc., rather than just trades/wants.
● Show me how many trades/wants/owns I have.

I agree with all of this, especially being able to see more than a tiny or blurry picture and seeing just how many pins I actually have.

I would also appreciate the search feature not requiring a "+" in order to not get 5,000 results before getting to the desired pin. I rarely use the new site to search because the old site just seems to know what I want so much better. Its really not easy, nor is it quick, to put a "+" before each word when you have a lot of search terms, such as when looking for a saying. I'd love to be able to search by number, as well. As for the "tip" to search by year, many pins have multiple years for the different runs. Unless all years are listed, you are still likely to get far too many incorrect results, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back