• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

No answers on pinpics??

PinPics is like the dinosaur of pin trading now. A lot of the accounts are abandoned, even though they show as active, the owners are not checking them. Also, I don't think PinPics is auto sending alerts to people's email addresses anymore. It used to be that you would get a notification that someone sent you a request - now that never happens. Unless someone is actively checking their PINPICS account, they will never even know you asked to trade. I also suspect, that even when you do reply to a request, there is a glitch that drops the sent message into the void, and the person never hears from you. I have had requests just simply never show up on my sent requests lists.

On top of this, the site stability is zero these days. I think the folks who took over the site had good intentions, but got more focused on selling the ACME pins and maybe don't have experience with running a website and all the technical needs of doing such. So most of the technical difficulties don't get fixed, or don't get addressed in a timely manner. (just a guess and only my opinion).

I can PM you a couple of FB sites that are very active and on which I have made some good sales and trades, if you like.

I was getting emails, but suddenly I’m not anymore. And ofc the logging in problems.

Email system definitely not working. At least the initial notification. I find the responses to come through though.

Email system definitely not working. At least the initial notification. I find the responses to come through though.

Yes . . . me, too. Since we joined, it has been like this. You don't get an email notification when you get a trade request. Only get an email when someone replies to a trade request or sends a PM or PM reply.

I send about 35-100 pin trade requests on PinPics to get a single response. Even a response saying No, Thank You. I appreciate those, too. I think tons of people don't reply to say they aren't interested, and that is sad. It would be so much nicer for any reply. I used to type a message in every trade request, but I have to say that I don't always do that anymore. One ---- I have to send out so many to get a single reply, that it is tiring. Two ---- I find that most people don't read the message attached to a trade request.

I sometimes write a message, too, but it gets lost. Even when I know it should be there, I have a hard time seeing it. Cannot always tell where my message ends and where the reply starts.

I have been having trouble sending messages as well, sometimes they go thru other times not, sometimes I cannot even log in, not sure what is up with it but it is frustrating to say the least.

Well, here's a "fun" twist. I was finally able to log in today and started updating new acquisitions. The Trade Request/Inbox at the top of the page showed 0 new messages. On a whim, I decided to check the inbox and there were new messages. So, maybe even if people can log in, they may not check their inbox because it might not show they have new messages.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Well, here's a "fun" twist. I was finally able to log in today and started updating new acquisitions. The Trade Request/Inbox at the top of the page showed 0 new messages. On a whim, I decided to check the inbox and there were new messages. So, maybe even if people can log in, they may not check their inbox because it might not show they have new messages.

Interesting!

I was finally able to get on today after being locked out for weeks. I showed no trade notifications and had eight messages...so who knows how their system works.

PinPics is like the dinosaur of pin trading now. A lot of the accounts are abandoned, even though they show as active, the owners are not checking them. Also, I don't think PinPics is auto sending alerts to people's email addresses anymore. It used to be that you would get a notification that someone sent you a request - now that never happens. Unless someone is actively checking their PINPICS account, they will never even know you asked to trade. I also suspect, that even when you do reply to a request, there is a glitch that drops the sent message into the void, and the person never hears from you. I have had requests just simply never show up on my sent requests lists.

On top of this, the site stability is zero these days. I think the folks who took over the site had good intentions, but got more focused on selling the ACME pins and maybe don't have experience with running a website and all the technical needs of doing such. So most of the technical difficulties don't get fixed, or don't get addressed in a timely manner. (just a guess and only my opinion).

I can PM you a couple of FB sites that are very active and on which I have made some good sales and trades, if you like.
This brings such sadness to my heart. The original folks of pinpics were such wonderful and helpful individuals. They were instrumental in my pin education when I first started. The whole pinpics group/traders were a positive and inspiring group.

I can confirm this. Some responses to trade proposals I sent out were in my inbox, but were not sent out as an email.

This has happened to me as well. Site is full of bugs.

My 2 cents on the Social Media PinPics fundraiser effort:

This is a very strange, and questionable, way to raise money for a new PinPics site IMHO. If the "owners" of the site want to do anything about fixing it, and they thought it was a viable business model, there are many ways to get funding. Venture capital, angel funding, selling the site outright and many, many more way of doing this. Years ago they sued someone who tried do another database (without getting approval to use the pin images) and thus closed down anyone else from going it that direction. The database technology is outdated, the site itself is very aged (look at some of the topics and sections - some haven't been updated for YEARS). Just my opinion, but for collectors/Traders to think this attempt to raise money is going to go anywhere is just false hope.

My 2 cents on the Social Media PinPics fundraiser effort:

This is a very strange, and questionable, way to raise money for a new PinPics site IMHO. If the "owners" of the site want to do anything about fixing it, and they thought it was a viable business model, there are many ways to get funding. Venture capital, angel funding, selling the site outright and many, many more way of doing this. Years ago they sued someone who tried do another database (without getting approval to use the pin images) and thus closed down anyone else from going it that direction. The database technology is outdated, the site itself is very aged (look at some of the topics and sections - some haven't been updated for YEARS). Just my opinion, but for collectors/Traders to think this attempt to raise money is going to go anywhere is just false hope.

Not to be a nay-Sayer, but there are many banners popping up on their site. Normally advertisers "pay" to have their banners on the different sites. I'll drop it at that.

I really am saddened by what has happened to our beloved Pinpics.........that is the birthplace of my hobby and I have a number of treasured friendships that started there; the pin-trading, though rewarding, was a side benefit.

Not to be a nay-Sayer, but there are many banners popping up on their site. Normally advertisers "pay" to have their banners on the different sites. I'll drop it at that.

I really am saddened by what has happened to our beloved Pinpics.........that is the birthplace of my hobby and I have a number of treasured friendships that started there; the pin-trading, though rewarding, was a side benefit.
It appears they are on AWS (Amazon Cloud) and are running ads from there as well as Google ads. If I'm not mistaken, you get payed for the click through traffic when you display them on your site. Basically, they are trying to generate revenue. If you run the site in Edge, you get 3 banners at times. One on the bottom of the page and one on each side.

It appears they are on AWS (Amazon Cloud) and are running ads from there as well as Google ads. If I'm not mistaken, you get payed for the click through traffic when you display them on your site. Basically, they are trying to generate revenue. If you run the site in Edge, you get 3 banners at times. One on the bottom of the page and one on each side.

I believe DPF has the same thing. At least it did before I added Ad Blocker Plus to my computer :D

Back