• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin Database alternative? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin Database alternative? What do you think?
Try again on your iPad. I have been doing work on the site all day and that is maybe why you ran into an issue.

I don't know if this has been brought up already, but when looking at the pins, can we have arrow buttons to go to and from the next/last pin in the future? (rather than having to go back to the main page each time)

Thanks for all your hard work!

I don't know if this has been brought up already, but when looking at the pins, can we have arrow buttons to go to and from the next/last pin in the future? (rather than having to go back to the main page each time)

Thanks for all your hard work!

Good idea... totally forgot about that. I will add that to the to-do list.

In regards to scrappers, in a comment section, would it be possible to make a reference to any discussion with photos from this site?? For example, "This pin discussed on 10/25/13 :disneypinforum:, disney pin discussion."

How long does this forum keep threads? Usually forums purge old threads every so often. Maybe we could have DPF make a Scrapper comparison/discussion specific forum that will not be deleted and we can have the pin number in the title of the thread for suspected pins effected? I know we have the pin comparison threads. Maybe we can update titles of current scrapper discussions with both the pinpics pin number and the new pin database pin number for easy seach and then get confirmation DPF won't delete them in a purge?

I really like the "users own" bit because i always wonder how many people actually own the pin like in relation to trading/wanting :)

I like it too because, if the site ever does become widely popular, if scrappers are known to exist of the pin, it will help us to see how many there are (or give us a good idea if there are a lot) since if you add up the "Users Own" and "Users Trading" on an LE100 pin and it comes out to 300, we know something is up <_<

How long does this forum keep threads? Usually forums purge old threads every so often. Maybe we could have DPF make a Scrapper comparison/discussion specific forum that will not be deleted and we can have the pin number in the title of the thread for suspected pins effected? I know we have the pin comparison threads. Maybe we can update titles of current scrapper discussions with both the pinpics pin number and the new pin database pin number for easy seach and then get confirmation DPF won't delete them in a purge?

I like that idea, if we keep scrapper threads for groups (not for each pin since then it would get a bit much to handle) then we could just link it from the main pin page, Disney can't really do anything about that since it's not acknowledging the existence, just "talking" about it and it doesn't directly say a scrapper exists on the page.

I only see the last 35 pins listed. Is there going to be a link to all pins in the database? You also will need a home button to take you back to the home page.

Looks fantastic!!! I am so excited about this!!!

You rock!!!

Every post since the inception of the board is still here -- the forum's database is over 2 gigs, with incremental backups being made nightly and full backups weekly -- which is why we needed to move to a dedicated webserver and mySQL server to be able to keep up with the traffic to the site.

I only see the last 35 pins listed. Is there going to be a link to all pins in the database? You also will need a home button to take you back to the home page.

Looks fantastic!!! I am so excited about this!!!

You rock!!!

Just search for the pin you are looking for. No need to list a single page with 100,000 pins. :)

Should I make it more than the last 35? Should I make some other way to browse pins?

And the link back to the home page is the "Newest Pins" page.... should I name it "Home" and add the logo back on it even though you are logged in?

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, the site is looking better each time I check it out.

I did a search and when I clicked on a specific pic, to check the details, ect, it looks great. But, when I hit the back button to return to my search, it says web page expired, instead of going back to the Lion King search I did.

Just search for the pin you are looking for. No need to list a single page with 100,000 pins. :)

Should I make it more than the last 35? Should I make some other way to browse pins? I don't think a single page with 100,000 pins is needed, but maybe pages with 100 pins on them. That way new people can go through all of the pins in the database to mark wanted pins. How will newbies and old timers alike know what is out there if they can't see everything?

And the link back to the home page is the "Newest Pins" page.... should I name it "Home" and add the logo back on it even though you are logged in?

I am used to it being the homepage, but that is a small thing. Having the logo on the page is always a good thing. Helps build your brand.

I was just wondering what order the results were returned in? I searched "dsf marquee" and snow white, valiant... were returned first.

I am not sure I care, I just want to know for future searches. release date, film release, date entered?

You are getting a lot more pins added which is great. I know this is a wip, a few suggestions and comments.

I think it was mentioned before, a sort on different criteria, maybe a breadcrumb to follow your path back, filters to remove items that you don't want to see, buttons or links on side or top to go someplace else quickly.

If I click on the snow white marquee, it loads the page fine. If I click the back button, I receive:
Document Expired

This document is no longer available.

The requested document is not available in Firefox's cache.

As a security precaution, Firefox does not automatically re-request sensitive documents.
Click Try Again to re-request the document from the website.

Thanks again for doing this.

BTW I am a sr. software engineer if you need to bounce any ideas on anything. My php is very rusty though. I write mostly in java.

Can't wait to see it, I haven't found many actual problems (besides minor ones that are just preference ones) since the first time I checked the beta. The only big one I think is being brought up about the whole "document expired" when going back is a hassle.

URL Reminder (Beta):

http://www.disneypinplace.com/beta/

At this point I will NOT be deleting your data. Go ahead and enter away!

By the way, YOU CAN enter pins and upload photos from your iPad/iPhone with a little pinching and zooming.

I'm looking for a soft launch this weekend of version 1.0, and then a quick turnaround for v1.1. Here is what I expect to add in the coming few days:

-
Validation to make sure Title isn’t blank, etc.
- A groups page to create/delete/rename personal groups
- List View vs. Bookshelf on UI (code is done, just need UI)

- A Moderator to show flag items for moderators
- eBay Sales link
- An admin page to add/remove mods

- Arrows to go back and forth between pins on a search/collection
- Need spaces when no data on Firefox tables
- Contact me, Facebook, Donate Links
- Paging or Lazy Load Images on Scroll
- No back/forth for adding/removing items to collection using AJAX POST
- Add “Discussion URL Link” field for disneypinforums.com discussions about a pin
- Add “Scrapper URL Link” field for disneypinforums.com discussions about a pin

- Sort Order for search
- Top collections on Main Page
- Custom "Personal Details" pin data on a per user basis, such as "Current Estimated Value" and "Quantity Owned"

I made some major fixes to image uploading tonight, if anyone wants to update some images for their pins.

Also, I am not getting the "Document Expired" error that you guys are.... are you all still getting it?

Last edited:
Looking good ethan! I'm trying to find pins that haven't been added but every one I try to look up has been added :lol: I'm editing the ones I see that still have the Pinpics numbers though :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back